An article about how recent ‘This American Life’ reports on the “Dos Erres” massacre in Guatemala and on the “charter cities” in Honduras censor out the historic and on-going role of the U.S. government.
On Monday, July 15, Tomas Garcia was brutally taken away by the Honduran military when a soldier shot and killed him at close range in broad daylight in front of 200-300 people. He did not have a gun, he did not hurt anyone. His crime? Opposing the construction of a hydroelectric dam being constructed in his Indigenous Lenca community's territory.
The ‘Murder Capital Of The World’, The ‘Repression Capital Of The Americas’, Leading Up To The November Elections
Rights Action is honored to fund and work with many courageous people and organizations in Honduras and Guatemala, while focusing critical attention on how we, in the U.S. and Canada, are often part of the problem.
· (June 12, 2013) New York Post article: “State Department Stymied Probe Into Shooting Of Four Hondurans, Whistleblower Says”
· (August 2012) Rights Action / CEPR Report: “Collateral Damage Of A Drug War: The May 11 Killings In Ahuas And The Impact Of The U.S. War On Drugs In La Moskitia, Honduras”
The following article builds upon and brings to light new developments that have transpired since the March 6 publication of COHA’s Senior Research Fellow Frederick B. Mills’s article entitled, “Honduran Death Squad Murders in Aguán Valley: Reflections on Rights Action Report.”
The Guatemalan government, headed by President and former General Otto Perez Molina, sent the military to ‘protect’ the “El Escobal” mine owned by Tahoe Resources (Canadian/ American company) and 40% owned by the Canadian mining giant Goldcorp Inc.
- NYT article: "Trial On Guatemalan Civil War Carnage Leaves Out U.S. Role"
- Commentary: "Follow Guatemala's Lead: Convene A Genocide Case Grand Jury"
- NYT article: "Victory In Guatemala? Not Yet"
- Urgent Action: Illegal arrest of Priest and 22 members of Honduran National Resistance Front
- Article: THE AGUA ZARCA DAM: How the World Bank and Central American Bank for Economic Integration are Profiting from the Looting of Indigenous Lenca Territory
Article "HONDURAN POLICE ACCUSED AS DEATH SQUADS" by Alberto Arce, Associated Press, May 13, 2013