Mike Allison summarizes some of the repression and human rights violations in Guatemala in 2013 and, at the same time, explains how Guatemalan President (former General) Otto Perez Molina was named "Leader of the Year" for policies implemented to favour corporate and investor opportunities!
"On Thursday, December 12, Colonel German Alfaro, commander of the Xatruch III operation in the Bajo Aguan region, made statements to Honduran press that Xatruch III is investigating my activities, documenting denouncements of human rights violations, accusing me of "destabilizing" the Aguan." Annie Bird.
If anyone could claim to be leading by example in an age of austerity, it is José Mujica,Uruguay's president, who has forsworn a state palace in favour of a farmhouse, donates the vast bulk of his salary to social projects, flies economy class and drives an old Volkswagen Beetle.
Juan Orlando Hernandez of the National Party has been declared winner of the elections in Honduras, guaranteeing four more years of ‘coup continuism’. It is the National Party that conspired with the economic, political, military and Catholic Church elites to carry out the coup in 2009 that ousted Honduras’ last fairly elected government.
- Results of Honduran Elections Fraudulently Changed, Says European Union Observer (UpsideDownWorld)
- Honduras Candidate Makes Case for Election Fraud (New York Times)
- Honduras Election Results Challenged (Associated Press)
As of 5 p.m. on November 25, ruling National Party presidential candidate Juan Orlando Hernández remains in the lead with 38 percent of votes, according to the results processed by the electoral tribunal from 60 percent of polling stations. Xiomara Castro, the candidate for the upstart Libre party trails with 29 percent. Hernandez and Castro both declared victory on November 24, when less than half of the polling stations’ results had been processed.
- Los Angeles Times article
- Open Letter, from Canadian groups, condemning the Canada-Honduras FTA
Miami Herald article by Dana Frank - "In Honduras, Military Takes Over With U.S. Blessing"
- Campesino Killed, Linked To Sugar Plantation-Land Struggle
- Kidnapping And Killing Of Youth Members Of The LIBRE Political Party
- Lawyer Killed In Of San Pedro Sula
- LGBTI Human Rights Defender Attacked In Public
- IACHR Reports On February 2012 Prison Massacre of 362 Inmates
An article about how recent ‘This American Life’ reports on the “Dos Erres” massacre in Guatemala and on the “charter cities” in Honduras censor out the historic and on-going role of the U.S. government.